The Secret to Social Media is That There is No Secret
Posted by Mark Quinn on 1/28/2015 5:00:00 PM
I have been working in the marketing space for about 25 years but in the last 5, this business discipline has changed DRAMATICALLY. I have friends that are engineers, doctors, farmers, CEO's, you name it and none of them are working in a field that is changing as fast as the marketing space is. The question is how in the heck do you keep up with it all and figure out a way to make your ideas stand out.
Social media is a big part of any marketing program today and can make a significant impact on your group. Make sure you read that last sentence right, I didn't say the impact is going to be good, as a matter of fact, I think there are more people out there doing it wrong than right. People jump in to the social world without earning their way, learning their way, or respecting it at the most basic level. Not only are their rules about engagement, but there are decisions that have to be made about what the right social tool is for you. People that tell me they want to start a Pinterest account to promote their business, when Pinterest is the last thing they should be doing, make me want to pull what little hair I have left out of my head.
So what is the solution to all of this? Read some blogs and books on the subject, experiment on your own, look for best practice examples of things that work IN YOUR FIELD, and build your strategy carefully ONLY after you have invested this time. Also beware of the guys out there claiming that they are experts in the field because there are a lot of pretenders that think they have the answers but are taking people down the wrong path. There is absolutely NO canned answer that can help you. It is going to take your investment of time and attention.
Come to my session on social media at the Bright Futures USA conference and I promise to do the following:
- Embarrass myself in some way. I don't try at this, it just happens on its own.
- Discuss how to build your strategy so that you have the right road map to get you where you want to be.
- We will talk about metrics and how critical they are when attacking a project.
- We will discuss finding the right tool or platform for your job. In other words, Facebook is not the right community for everything.
- We will explore omni channel communication and how important it is to say things in stereo.
- We will talk about how each of you and your organizations need to become media companies in order to lead and influence the right people.
- We will laugh. At least a little.
I am a servant on this earth and want to help you so a large part of my time will be left open for you to ask questions to very specific questions. Hopefully I will have some answers.
Editor's Note: Mark's workshop, "Social Media: It's the New Everything", is available at CEC2015 on Monday, February 23, 10:45am-12:15pm.